Sunday, May 26, 2013

Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies

Anybody else start feeling 'blah' when you haven't made anything new in a few days? I start getting antsy and find any excuse to make something. It's a Sunday, so I couldn't go to the store to grab anything and fulfill any crazy recipe desires. I settled for some cornflake cookies.

Basically, this, the scotcheroos and peanut butter rice krispies all use the same peanut butter mixture. They're just used in different ways. But, if I can have a variety of easy gluten-free treats in mind that my daughter won't recognize as "basically the same as the other one.." I'm good with that! And..these are actually really really delicious. To me, they're better than peanut butter rice krispies because they're crispier!

Kellogg's cornflakes are made with malt flavoring, which includes a little gluten. My daughter can handle a small amount of gluten, so this isn't a big deal for me, but brands like Nature's Path  makes cornflakes that are 100% gluten free. 

I followed this recipe from My Crazy Blessed Life. Before I poured the pb mixture over the cornflakes, though, I noticed that there was going to be some drownage going on. I added another cup of cornflakes in to make the ratio's a bit more even, and I still think they could have used another half cup or so! Food for thought. :)


What you will need:

  • 1 C corn syrup
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 C peanut butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 6 (or 6 1/2) C cornflakes 
Directions:
  • Measure out 6 cups of cereal into a large bowl
  • Bring the corn syrup and sugar to a boil for about a minute
  • Add in the peanut butter and mix until creamy
  • Add in vanilla and mix in
  • Pour pb mixture over cereal and coat the cereal evenly
  • Drop scoops of cereal on wax paper (I used a cookie scoop)

3 comments :

  1. making these tonight, adding mini chocolate chips because that's how i roll, thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put these into a 9 x 13 pan and then top with 6oz of choc chips and 6 oz of Butterscotch chips that are melted together. spread on top like frosting! YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried these this evening. I substituted corn syrup with agave nectar because that's what I had. Looks a bit deeper in colour than yours, but otherwise the same. Veeeery sweet though. Maybe agave nectar is sweeter than corn syrup? I'll definately try again when I get my hands on corn syrup (we don't have that stuff where I'm from). Anyhooo... Good stuff! Well worth the effort if you have the ingredients and a sweet tooth but no wish to go outside.

    ReplyDelete